Saturday, November 08, 2008

Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex


I was already running Hardy Heron (8.04), but did not feel like working the other night so I thought I would waste that time upgrading to Intrepid Ibex. With a little help from TorrentFreak I was quickly on my way. It took about 3 hours over my wireless connection, but it was worth not having to reinstall applications and reconfigure every aspect of the OS to get it the way I like it.

My only complaint about the upgrade (and this is minor) is that it lost my saved wireless keys. Not a big deal for my home network, but a few of the other networks I visit on a regular basis use a ASCII Hex password which is a pain to re-enter.

According to BootChart I am booting at 38 seconds which is an improvement over not only Hardy Heron, but my XP install as well.

If you are looking for a cheap Windows alternative Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex is a good place to start.

No comments: